Spice-of-the-year: Turmeric! Breakfast scones
Rise and bake scones.
Easiest Turmeric Breakfast Scones Ever!
1 cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoons chives, chopped
¾ cups canned coconut milk
2 tablespoons coconut milk, for brushing
¼ cup sunflower seeds, toasted Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, kosher salt, pepper, turmeric, paprika and chives.
3. Stir in coconut milk until just combined, don't over-mix.
4. Dump the mixture onto a floured surface and very gently fold 4 to 5 times until mixture is a nice even texture and no longer sticky.
5. Don’t over mix the dough. If the dough is still sticky, add a little four and gently mix additional flour.
6. Shape into rectangle and cut into four squares. Keep pieces together.
7. Brush the additional Tablespoon of coconut milk on the tops and sprinkle toasted sunflower seeds.
8. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet. Middle rack of the oven for 17 to 20 minutes.
9. Serve immediately with fruit, maple syrup, tea, or coffee. **I'm working on testing a gluten free version of this recipe.**