Beet Carpaccio - saffron, smoked paprika and pickled onions
Beet Carpaccio: saffron, smoked paprika and pickled onion
Thinly sliced beets make a beautiful appetizer. Local farmers market find. They can be roasted the night before a party!
6 beets, trimmed
2 tablespoons mint, chiffonade
3 tablespoons olive oil
Pinch of saffron
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Freshly ground pepper 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place beets on sheet
2. Sprinkle beets lightly with water. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until beets are tender when pierced with fork, about 40 minutes. Cool on sheet. Peel beets. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Place in resealable plastic bag; chill.)
3. Using a mandolin slice beets and onions thinly
4. In a bowl add, olive oil, vinegar, saffron, salt and pepper. Mix well.
5. Mix dressing and onions, set aside for 10 mins
7. Arrange beets on a platter, drizzle dressing and garnish with mint.